3 Reasons Path to Divine Union is Called Dark Night
- Because it goes by the path of privation of all sensual desire. The extinguishing of sensual desire is experienced as a type of night to the body, which is always caught up in the completion of some sensual desire.
- By virtue of it being a path of faith: “for we live by faith, not by sight.”
- By virtue of the reality of God, which is infinite and incomprehensible.
St. John of the Cross, Ascent of Mt. Carmel
Latest posts by Barry Schoedel (see all)
- Carthusian Statutes: Guigues’ Praise of Life in Solitude - 12/06/2018
- Comments on Pre-Christian Forms of Natural Meditation - 11/18/2018
- How to Obtain Distrust of Self - 11/01/2018