3 Reasons Path to Divine Union is Called Dark Night
- Because it goes by the path of privation of all sensual desire. The extinguishing of sensual desire is experienced as a type of night to the body, which is always caught up in the completion of some sensual desire.
- By virtue of it being a path of faith: “for we live by faith, not by sight.”
- By virtue of the reality of God, which is infinite and incomprehensible.
St. John of the Cross, Ascent of Mt. Carmel
Latest posts by Barry Schoedel (see all)
- Emotional Sobriety & the Attitude of Lust - 10/11/2018
- Lust and the Spiritual Combat: Distrust of Self – II - 09/26/2018
- Lust and the Spiritual Combat: Distrust of Self – I - 09/23/2018