3 Reasons Path to Divine Union is Called Dark Night
- Because it goes by the path of privation of all sensual desire. The extinguishing of sensual desire is experienced as a type of night to the body, which is always caught up in the completion of some sensual desire.
- By virtue of it being a path of faith: “for we live by faith, not by sight.”
- By virtue of the reality of God, which is infinite and incomprehensible.
St. John of the Cross, Ascent of Mt. Carmel
Latest posts by Barry Schoedel (see all)
- 1st Advent Sunday Sermon – St. Alphonsus de Liguori - 12/04/2017
- Holy Gratitude: What is it? - 11/10/2017
- Penance, Fasting, & Abstinence - 03/23/2017