3 Reasons Path to Divine Union is Called Dark Night
- Because it goes by the path of privation of all sensual desire. The extinguishing of sensual desire is experienced as a type of night to the body, which is always caught up in the completion of some sensual desire.
- By virtue of it being a path of faith: “for we live by faith, not by sight.”
- By virtue of the reality of God, which is infinite and incomprehensible.
St. John of the Cross, Ascent of Mt. Carmel
Latest posts by Barry Schoedel (see all)
- Penance, Fasting, & Abstinence - 03/23/2017
- Lent as a Time to Confront Addiction - 03/03/2017
- Thomas D. Williams & Breitbart Characterization of Pope Francis - 02/18/2017